Season One, Episode Five– This hypothetical case study about co-founders of an mhealth (mobile health) startup introduces listeners to four key legal issues all entrepreneurs should know.
Episode Description: A presentation about key legal issues for startups, by Professor Bernice Grant, Senior Director of the Entrepreneurial Law Program and Founding Director of the Entrepreneurial Law Clinic at Fordham University School of Law. Using a hypothetical case study of two co-founders of an mhealth (mobile health) startup, Grant teaches entrepreneurs about four legal issues: co-founder relationships, choosing a name and protecting your intellectual property, liability protection, and growing a workforce while you are cash-strapped. Based on a presentation at the Gabelli School of Business’ annual entrepreneurship conference, this podcast introduces several key legal issues that will be addressed in greater detail in future episodes.
- [:30] Bernice Grant introduces the presentation and case study presented at the TrepCon Conference.
- [3:43] Considerations for co-founder relationships in startups, and the important role of founders’ agreements.
- [9:25] Key tips for choosing a name for your startup venture to protect your budding brand.
- [15:37] Factors in proactively protecting your company’s intellectual property.
- [18:07] Three main points for maximizing liability protection for your startup.
- [24:12] Growing and compensating your workforce while you are cash-strapped.
- [26:58] Grant summarizes these four key issues of the Startup LAWnchpad podcast series.
Mentioned In This Episode:
- Gabelli School of Business at Fordham University
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Entrepreneurship Legal Clinic Startup Kit
- Fordham’s Entrepreneurial Law Clinic
- Follow us on Twitter @FordhamELC
Disclaimer: The information contained in the Startup LAWnchpad Podcast and any materials associated therewith (the “Podcast”), is for educational and informational purposes only. The Podcast does not constitute legal advice or tax advice with respect to any particular circumstance. The Podcast is not a complete overview or analysis of the topics presented, and may contain information that varies in different jurisdictions and that is subject to revision, interpretation, or nullification after the date of recording. The transmission of information to you does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and any host, guest, or their respective employer, including but not limited to Fordham University School of Law and Lincoln Square Legal Services, Inc. None of these parties shall be liable for any loss that may arise from any reliance on the Podcast. You should not rely upon the Podcast or treat it as a substitute for legal advice. You should consult a lawyer familiar with your particular circumstances and licensed in your jurisdiction for legal advice.
Startup LAWnchpad is a new podcast that helps bridge the gap between entrepreneurs and their legal needs. This podcast is a series of virtual legal workshops that will educate entrepreneurs about legal issues they commonly face as they develop, launch and grow their business.