Season One, Episode Fifteen – A first look at the relationship between real estate investment and law for entrepreneurs.
Episode Description: Kevin Chan (Fordham Law ‘18) interviews Scott Scuderi (Fordham Law ‘16), Founder and CEO of Scuderi Capital, LLC. Their discussion examines the relationship between real estate and law for entrepreneurs, tools for evaluating the real estate market, the impact of tax reform, considerations for various kinds of investments, and more.
- [:30] Chan introduce himself as a Fordham Law student under the supervision of Professor Bernice Grant, his topic of entrepreneurship and real estate, and guest Scott Scuderi.
- [4:19] An overview of Scuderi’s business and the link between real estate and law school.
- [10:16] Advice for entrepreneurs that want to incorporate real estate into their business.
- [15:37] Keys to success in the real estate business fundraising process.
- [18:12] Tools and key metrics for evaluating your local real estate market.
- [23:46] Noteworthy differences between commercial and residential real estate and various strategies for real estate investments.
- [29:51] Considerations for short-term real estate investments.
- [32:21] The impact of tax reform, deductions for state property taxes and zoning laws.
- [39:50] Scuderi’s final advice for entrepreneurs.
- [44:52] Chan highlights the key takeaways of networking, due diligence, and key metrics.
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Scott Scuderi
- Barbara Corcoran
- Shark Tank
- Stephen Ross
- Steve Wynn
- “How the Economic Machine Works in 30 Minutes” by Ray Dalio
- The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- Scuderi Real Estate on Instagram
Disclaimer: The information contained in the Startup LAWnchpad Podcast and any materials associated therewith (the “Podcast”), is for educational and informational purposes only. The Podcast does not constitute legal advice or tax advice with respect to any particular circumstance. The Podcast is not a complete overview or analysis of the topics presented, and may contain information that varies in different jurisdictions and that is subject to revision, interpretation, or nullification after the date of recording. The transmission of information to you does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and any host, guest, or their respective employer, including but not limited to Fordham University School of Law and Lincoln Square Legal Services, Inc. None of these parties shall be liable for any loss that may arise from any reliance on the Podcast. You should not rely upon the Podcast or treat it as a substitute for legal advice. You should consult a lawyer familiar with your particular circumstances and licensed in your jurisdiction for legal advice.
Startup LAWnchpad is a new podcast that helps bridge the gap between entrepreneurs and their legal needs. This podcast is a series of virtual legal workshops that will educate entrepreneurs about legal issues they commonly face as they develop, launch and grow their business.