Season Two: Episode Eight — Advice from a successful entrepreneur for lawyers and anyone who is interested in pursuing entrepreneurial endeavors, including understanding legal challenges, how to raise funding, and the right time to quit your day job.
Episode Description: David Adler (Fordham Law ‘19) and James Fitzpatrick (Fordham Law ‘20) interview Chieh Huang (Fordham Law ‘08), CEO and Co-Founder of Boxed, an online wholesale retailer, to discuss the legal and practical challenges of pursuing entrepreneurial endeavors.
- [:30] David Adler introduces himself, James Fitzpatrick, and Chieh Huang, CEO of Boxed.
- [1:37] The personal and professional reasons Chieh attended law school and the impact his legal training has had on his company’s success.
- [5:12] Chieh describes his journey from practicing attorney to prosperous entrepreneur.
- [12:26] Advice for lawyers who are interested in pursuing entrepreneurial endeavors.
- [15:17] Legal challenges and advice for a startup company that does it all.
- [19:21] Understanding employee benefits from one of the most generous companies in the world.
- [22:14] Two tips for mastering the “jerk test” and the most effective way to make a positive social impact.
- [27:30] Raising funding and the right time to quit your full-time job.
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Fordham’s Entrepreneurial Law Clinic
- Follow us on Twitter @FordhamELC
The information contained in the Startup LAWnchpad podcast and any materials associated therewith (the “Podcast”), is for educational, informational, and entertainment purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or tax advice with respect to any particular circumstance. The Podcast is not a complete overview or analysis of the topics presented and may contain information that varies in different jurisdictions and is subject to revision, interpretation, or nullification after the date of recording. The transmission of information to you does not create a lawyer-client relationship between you and any host, guest, or their respective employer, including but not limited to Fordham University School of Law and Lincoln Square Legal Services, Inc. None of these parties shall be liable for any loss that may arise from any reliance on the Podcast. You should not rely upon the Podcast or treat it as a substitute for legal advice. You should consult a lawyer familiar with your particular circumstances and licensed in your jurisdiction for legal advice.
Startup LAWnchpad is the podcast that educates entrepreneurs about forming, growing, and protecting a startup. Startup LAWnchpad is produced by the Entrepreneurial Law Clinic at Fordham University School of Law in New York City.